Due to the expected bitter cold temperatures this week, the following is a list of available Warming Centers within the Town of Winchester that will be open:
Town Hall, P. Francis Hicks Room, 338 Main Street - Thursday: 8AM to 6PM & Friday: 8AM to Noon;
Winsted Senior Center (Open to age 55+ or disabled), 80 Holabird Avenue - Thursday: 8AM to 4PM & Friday: 8AM to 4PM;
Beardsley & Memorial Library, 40 Munro Place - Thursday: 10AM to 8PM, Friday: 10AM to 6PM & Saturday: 10AM to 2PM;
Open Door Soup Kitchen, 160 Main Street - Thursday: 8:30AM to 12:30PM & Friday 8:30AM to 12:30PM; and
Hungerford Emergency & Medical Care Lobby at Winsted Health Center located at 115 Spencer Street - Thursday & Friday: 9AM to 9PM and Saturday, 7AM-9PM.
Additionally, the following local businesses are volunteering as warming centers during their normal business hours. These businesses will not turn anyone away seeking to get warm.
- Dunkin' restaurants, one located at 3 Main Street and one located at 760 Main Street;
- Winsted News Company also known at The Cigar Store located at 418 Main Street;
- Kent Pizza located at 536 Main Street;
- McDonalds Restaurant located on Route 44, 15 South Main Street;
- McGrane's on the Green located at 37 Park Place;
- ABC Pizza located at 228 Main Street; and
- Northwest CT Realty located at 98 Main Street.
Pursuant to the State of Connecticut Severe Cold Weather Protocol, anyone in need of immediate shelter can obtain assistance through the 211 Info line or by contacting and/or visiting the Winchester Police Department.
Please note that the Severe Cold Weather Protocol remains in effect until Saturday, December 21, 2019.